Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Kenny & Zuke's Reuben


I had the pleasure of visiting this fine sandwich establishment while my mom was in town for my birthday this weekend. Kenny & Zuke's is on the pricey side as far as sandwiches go so I was grateful to have my mom take me out. My pastrami reuben was about $12 (with fries and a homemade and perfect dill pickle); a special occasion sandwich if I ever had one. Anyone who's had a mediocre reuben knows that quality pastrami is essential. Take for example the reuben at the diner in Red Hook. It's huge, dripping with sauce, and has the potential to be delicious. But the pastrami they use often has these nasty fat chunks that you have to rip off or try and eat. It's enough to make you lose your appetite (and gag) so paying a few extra bucks for homemade pastrami (like they serve at Kenny & Zuke's) seems logical to me. I only wish I could afford such top notch pastrami more often.


Another great thing about this place is that they sell Cel-Ray (celery-flavored soda), an old favorite of mine. In fact, in high school I was one of five member of the Cel-Ray Club. They also sell all sorts of sodas in bottles (as they should be) and Vernon's ginger soda, which my mom got really excited about.

As a birthday present, my mom gave me her old 35mm camera and a macro lens so expect some high quality close-ups of my sandwiches from now on.

4 comments:

  1. dude my grandpa used to drink cel-ray soda, so one time karen got me a 6 pack as a surprise but we couldn't even finish one can. shit is sick

    ReplyDelete
  2. psh you could obvi learn a few things for yr grandpa. cel-ray rulez.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who the fuck else was in the Cel-ray club in high school!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  4. it wasnt an official club or anything. just me, david levy, sam hsieh, mat mcdowell, ellice litwak, maybe ruth?

    ReplyDelete